What is Active School Travel?
Active School Travel is an initiative of the Brisbane City Council with three main focuses:
1. Encouraging children to know their local area
2. Encouraging children to learn positive road behaviour
3. Encouraging children to keep active and healthy
How well do you know our local area?
Find out with Corinda State School's new Active Travel Map. Created by the Brisbane City Council, it is a detailed map of our suburb, highlighting: public transport routes, walking and cycle paths and essential public facilities.
How parents can get involved?
Parents and caregivers play a critical role in influencing the development of a child's positive road behaviour. Lessons learned at an early age and reinforced throughout a child's schooling will have a major effect on their attitudes and behaviours for the rest of their lives. Families are encouraged to participate in Active School travel events and initiatives and promote active and safe road behaviour.
Ideas to encourage children to be active travellers:
Corinda State School has nominated Thursday as our Active School Travel day. We encourage our students to walk, ride or scooter to school. Parents can support this initiative by:
- parking a distance away from the school and walking the rest of the way (eg: 500m - or a 10 minute walk)
- going for a ride with your children to develop their confidence and exposure to traffic situations, as well as explaining traffic signs and signals.
- travelling on public transport with your children to demonstrate correct behaviours.
- as a family, plan your journey to school, challenging yourself to travel a different way each time.
- car-pooling with another family and sharing trips.